2.24.2011
Total Recall
So following surfing, caving, rafting, and skydiving, my first week ended with what is rated as one of the world's best one day walks- the Tongariro Crossing. A challenging 19k trek through otherworldly terrain with steaming vents, solidified lava flows, technicolor lakes, bizarre rock formations, and a unique volcanic land form that teleports you from the usual lush rainforests and green countryside to a completely barren planet. The 3 looming active volcanoes are: Mt Tongariro, Mt Ruapehu and Mt Ngauruhoe... aka "Mount Doom" from Lord of the Rings (nerd alert!)- this huge conical volcano was used as Frodo's ultimate destination to destroy the ring... and graphically enhanced with violently spewing lava. The summit of Tongariro was a complete white out once the fog rolled in, but an amazing feat nonetheless. After roughly 7 hours, I was pretty exhausted with the day and week I'd had and happy to be greeted with a cold beer in the car park. What I accomplished in this single week were things I only dreamed of in a lifetime. How do you return to "normal life" after that??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment